Leidos UI Designer in ABINGDON, Maryland
Leidos has a career opportunity for a User Experience Designer at Abingdon, MD to support a critical modernization effort of the Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data System (AFATDS) in order to satisfy the vision of Program Executive Office (PEO) Command Control Communications - Tactical (C3T) and Project Manager Mission Command. In this assignment, you will support this effort by working with a multidisciplinary UX team to produce wire-frames, mock-ups, and prototypes which implement the modernization of this system with an effective, efficient, aesthetic, and uncluttered user experience.
The AFATDS is a multi-service, automated command, coordination, communication, and computing system that provides automated fire support and coordination to all echelons, from firing unit through theater level, at Army, Marine Corps, Naval Firing Platforms, Navy Command and Amphibious Assault Ships, Air Force Operations Centers, and Joint Command and Control Centers. AFATDS enables the automatic application of the Force Commander’s guidance in the Fires Warfighting Function to plan, execute, and deliver effects at all levels of command within the current and future force. AFATDS can automatically tailor the selection of fire support assets (field artillery, mortars, close air support, naval gunfire, attack helicopters, and offensive electronic warfare assets) based on the Commander’s guidance, thereby enabling maximum effective use of all available fire support assets across the full spectrum of conflict.
This effort is to meet the government’s objective to modernize the underlying AFATDS architecture, redesign the AFATDS front-end to a fully web- and role-based user interface, integrate common services made available through the Army’s Common Operating Environment (COE), and incorporate advanced embedded training technologies to aid in operator-initiated system instruction and refresher training.
• Work with the Senior UI designer to deliver attractive user interfaces
• Keep up to date with the latest UI design and usability trends and techniques
• Contribute to the system design style guide
• Work with the UX leads to assess the impact of any UI changes/improvements
• Work with a team of engineers and developers to ensure any UI design changes help to compliment the overall user experience and journey
• Conduct analysis and create reports supporting UI designs and the overall UX process
• Create UI design wireframes, mock ups, prototypes and final designs across various applications
• Support the UX team of researchers and designers in analysis, design, and prototyping
• Other duties as required
External Referral Eligible
• Requires Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, interactive design, systems engineering, human computer interaction or graphic design and 2 – 4 years of relevant experience
• Must have strong working knowledge of Axure and other wire-framing and prototyping tools.
• Strong understanding of UI design techniques and tools
• A passion for Interaction Design
• Excellent attention to detail
• A strong portfolio that demonstrates a range of UI design techniques
• Excellent analysis and critical thinking skills
• Able to multi-task and function in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to obtain a DoD SECRET security clearance
• US Citizenship is required
• Experience with HTML, CSS and jQuery and Angular highly desirable
• Experience with working with military operations and ground troops – especially Army and Marines a MAJOR plus
• Proficiency with MS Office Products (Word, Excel, Visio, & PowerPoint)
• Ability to convey technical designs, ideas and results to non-technical audiences and provide briefings to high-level government personnel
• Experience on a computer system for weapons control
• Experience with Command and Control applications
• Experience with AFATDS, Army Common Operating Environment (COE) or other PM MC systems
• Currently possess an active DoD SECRET security clearance
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.