Army Installation Management Command Utility Systems Repairer/Operator in Adelphi, Maryland
About the Position: The US Army Garrison Adelphi Laboratory Center (ALC) serves the Soldier and collaborates with Army science and research by providing excellent laboratory facilities and support services. The Garrison provides a professional work environment with the opportunity to directly impact the surrounding civilian community. Generous paid leave and government holidays are additional benefits. Free parking on-site.
This position is located in Adelphi, MD which is in Prince George's County, a metropolitan area, bordered to the south by Washington, DC and to the north by Baltimore. It is approximately 30 miles south of Baltimore and the White Marsh Area, and 10 miles north of Washington, DC.
This is an Open Continuous Announcement and will be open for a period of 30 days. The first initial cut off date is at 14 days and another cut-off will follow if more selections are needed.
Learn more about this agency
You will serve as a Utility Systems Repairer-Operator performing and/or assisting with performing the full range of operation, maintenance, and repair of high temperature hot water (HTHW) generators and chillers, including related equipment, with the central Heat/Chill plant. You will perform or assist in performing repairs of steam and hot water boilers, unfired steam generators, and house air compressors including related equipment and systems in addition to the central plant facility. Perform or assist in performing duties involved in troubleshooting, repair, installation, overhaul, servicing and maintenance of a variety of complex HVAC & R (heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration) equipment including laboratory environmental ultra-low cascade temperature chambers and heat pumps, which incorporate complex electronic and pneumatic control systems. Tests for refrigerant leaks and must use a refrigerant recovery/recycling station, to EPA standards, to safely reclaim, recycle and store the refrigerant before repairs can be made.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
4742 Utility Systems Repairing-Operating
Conditions of Employment
- Must obtain and maintain a SECRET security clearance.
- Recruitment Incentive of 25% MAY be paid to an employee selected at the WG-11 grade level and who is newly appointed to the Federal Government. "Newly appointed" refers to first appointment as an employee of the Federal Government.
- Business travel (5%) is required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid state driver's license.
- This is an inclement weather position.
- This is a Mission Essential position for the purpose of ice and snow removal and/or Real Property emergencies and will be required to remain and/or report to work in emergency situations.
- Must obtain and maintain a Universal chloroflurocarbon (CFC) Refrigeration Certificate.
- Shift work and/or rotating shifts required.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
To meet the basic eligibility, you must receive at least two points on the screen-out element indicated above and must have an average of two points on all the job elements listed below. Your application will be further evaluated to determine if you meet the best qualified cut-off for referral to the selecting official.
Selective Placement Factors: Applicants will need to meet the Selective Placement Factors along with the Screen-Out Element. Applicants will need to submit copy of their licenses along with the application. Failure to attach licenses will result in an ineligible rating.
WG-11 Level Position:
- Must possess a minimum of a Stationary Engineering license, Grade 2 issued by the State of Maryland or the District of Columbia or equivalent license from another state. **This is required for the WG-11 level. (Must submit a copy of the Grade 2 Stationary Engineers license with your application package. Failure to attach license will result in an ineligible rating).
WG-10 Level Position:**
- Must possess a Stationary Engineering license, Grade 3 issued by the State of Maryland or the District of Columbia or equivalent license from another state. This is required for the WG-10 level. **(Must submit a copy of the Grade 3 Stationary Engineers license with your application package. Failure to attach license will result in an ineligible rating).
In addition to the Selective Placement Factors, you must meet the Screen Out Element (listed below):**
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element):Ability to do the work of a(n) Utility Systems Repairer/Operator without more than normal supervision. Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision Screen Out
- Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (includes blueprinting reading)
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
- Knowledge of Materials
- Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
- Use of Measuring Instruments
- Physical Effort: Incumbent handles and carries tools, equipment and testing devices that seldom weigh over 50 pounds. Work is normally performed at sites where most of the equipment can be reached from the floor or ladders. The incumbent may occasionally use platforms, scaffolding, hoists, holders and pulleys in performing the work. The position requires frequent standing, walking and climbing and occasional stooping, bending, knelling and work in tiring or uncomfortable positions.
- Working Conditions: Work is performed inside. Occasionally work is performed outside on top of tall buildings and in cramped areas with low overheads. The incumbent is exposed to gas, smoke, ash, scalding water, carbon monoxide poisoning, gas, oil and sulfur fumes and toxic refrigerants. Googles, respirators, heavy aprons, hard hats, protective gloves, facemasks, and protective clothing are provided to mitigate the adverse conditions and exposure to known hazards.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 29 position.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 90 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating:Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply.* If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.*
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume. 2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- This position requires a job-related license or certification. You MUST submit a copy of your license or certification with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section above.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 06/06/2018 to receive consideration
- To begin, click Applyto access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10188313).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center. To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
AC-APF-W6KKAA USA GARRISON ADELPHI DO NOT MAIL Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD US
Learn more about this agency
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/498541100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 05/07/2018 to 06/06/2018
Salary: $24.80 to $33.91 per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 8 - 11
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent