AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP Post Doctoral Fellow - Research Cardiovascular, Renal & Metabolism in Gaithersburg, Maryland
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Postdoctoral Fellow - Research Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism:
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As a Post-Doctoral Fellow, you will work in a drug discovery team with opportunities to research one of many research projects in the CardioRenal & Metabolic (CVRM) space. Based on your area of expertise and/or interests the successful candidate will investigate novel cellular and molecular mechanisms involved in the pathophysiology of heart failure, atherosclerosis, chronic kidney disease (CKD), nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), obesity (central effect), type 2 diabetes (T2D) and adipocyte function/differentiation pathways by employing the most relevant cellular in vitro systems and animal models complimented with a large tool-box of pharmacological and protein engineering tools.
You will be expected to manage and prioritize a number of different research projects and tasks in line with the objectives of the group. As a member of a highly motivated and experienced multidisciplinary CVRM team you’ll share our focus on publishing cutting edge research and bringing new medicines to patients with CardioRenal and Metabolic disease.
• PhD and/or MD in relevant area of CardioRenal and Metabolism
• Strong scientific background in heart failure, atherosclerosis, chronic kidney disease, nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, central effects of obesity, insulin resistance and/or adipose tissue biology
• Strong hands-on skills and experience in biochemical methods including ELISA/multiplex assays, ELISPOT, Western blotting, immunoprecipitation, microscopy/imaging, etc.
• Dexterous to develop in vitro cell-based assays (use of primary tissues and cells,
functional in vitro assays including intracellular signaling pathways)
• Well-acquainted with molecular biology techniques (e.g. qRT-PCR) and knowledge in
genomics and proteomics database analyses
• Proven ability to publish in peer reviewed journals, generate technical report summaries
• Highly motivated, innovative and reliable with the ability to effectively solve problems
• Flexible, collaborative and team-oriented mind set
• Effective communication and presentation skills
• Strong desire to learn and perform cancer research in an industry(biotechnology)-academic collaborative setting.
• Experience with in vivo metabolic disease models.
• Experience with cutting edge techniques such as single cell RNAseq, specialized proteomics, metabolomic and bioassay development from primary tissues.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.