Oceaneering Electronics Technician in Hanover, Maryland
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
The Advanced Technologies (ADTECH) group of Oceaneering is recognized as an industry leader in enabling humans to work safely and effectively in harsh environments ranging from the depths of the sea to the outer reaches of space. ADTECH specializes in the support of manned systems and the development and application of practical, cost-effective robotic systems in multiple industries.
ADTECH designs, builds, and operates unique underwater systems for the US Navy and provides life cycle maintenance services for Submarines and Deep Submergence Systems. ADTECH is developing the next generation space suit for NASA and provides robotic and spacecraft life support systems. ADTECH is also an award winning leader in design, build, and installation of theme park entertainment ride systems and provides intra-logistic solutions using AGV systems.
ADTECH's business areas are: Oceaneering Technologies, Marine Services Division, Oceaneering Space Systems, Oceaneering Entertainment Systems, Frog AGV Systems, and ADTECH Manufacturing Group.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click on Non-Oilfield, then click on Naval and Marine Services.
The Electronics Technician’s primary role is to support project development by completing electrical/electronic assembly work as required in support of various OTECH projects. The Electronics Technician will perform assembly, integration, factory testing, field installation, and testing/debugging of electrical equipment and systems. Project support primarily occurs at OTECH’s Hanover MD location, but at times may require travel to field locations in the US and possibly abroad.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Soldering and electrical assembly.
- Some light mechanical assembly associated with the assembly of J-boxes and electronics chassis.
- Use electrical meters (DVM), high voltage meggers, fiber optic sources and power meters, and similar test equipment.
- Assist as directed by Assembly Supervisor, Group Leader of Electronics Technicians, or project-specific Senior ET or Lead ET.
- Travel may be required.
- Desirable for candidate to be familiar with the operation and use of oscilloscopes, electrical and optical time domain reflectometers (TDRs), logic and frequency analyzers, spectrum analyzers.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Technical Associates Degree or tech trade school preferred.
- Minimum two years formal electronics training or four years of progressively responsible, on-scene experience in electrical/electronic assembly.
- Able to interpret complex electrical schematics.
- Above average skills in soldering and electrical assembly.
- Electrical/electronic assembly/inspection and/or soldering certificate (IPC-WHMA-620, IPC J-STD, etc.) desired, or equivalent skill in lieu of certificate.
- Experience with cable assembly/wire harness assembly.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work as a team player in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to work with minimum supervision under a variety of conditions.
- A current valid passport is required.
- Must be able to obtain security clearance.
- Experience with PWB/PCB assembly including thru-hole and surface mount is considered a plus.
- Experience with Altium (or similar electrical documentation package) is considered a plus.
- Experience troubleshooting to the component level is preferred.
- Knowledge of shipboard wiring and/or subsea systems (ROVs/AUVs) is preferred.
This position is considered SHOP/INDOORS which is characterized as follows.
- Primarily indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Frequently working on or near moving equipment and vibrating equipment
- When outdoors, humidity is frequently above 90%
- Noise is over 85 decibels
- Light is intense/glare
- Occasional exposure to open fire/flames/sparks
- Frequent exposure to airborne dust, fumes, and gases
- Includes exposure to contaminants
- Requires working in very hot (above 90 F degrees) or very cold (below 32 F degrees) temperatures
- Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable
- Job tasks are performed in close physical proximity to other people
- Requires working indoors in non-controlled environmental conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered MEDIUM**work.
- Lift 20-50 pounds
- Work in confined spaces,kneel, jump, run, work while lying on stomach/back, crawl, and use repetitive movements of the arms and hands.
- Identify color differences
- Wear PPE for skin protection
- Lift 10-25 pounds
- Climb stairs/ladders, stand, balance, stoop, squat, reach, and lift/carry objects
- Twist body, sit with back supported, head forward/flexed, head tilted/rotated, and work with arms extended overhead
- Operate a motor vehicle
- Lift up to 10 pounds
- Wear PPE protection for body, vision, and hearing protection
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Job Title: Electronics Technician
Location: Hanover, Maryland
Job ID: 13394
Full/Part Time: Full-Time