Applied Physics Laboratory Cyber Test and Experimentation System Administrator in Laurel, Maryland
We are seeking a Cyber Test and Experimentation System Administrator to help drive research, innovation, and the application of cutting edge cybersecurity solutions needed to defend our nation's air and missile defense systems from cyber threats.
The Cyber Test and Experimentation System Administrator is responsible for information system administration, information systems security, hardware lifecycle, and operational support of the Combat System Cyber Warfare Analysis Laboratory (CSCWAL). CSCWAL supports the development of system modeling, cyber threat emulation, cyber risk assessment, vulnerability/penetration testing, cyber solution evaluation, and operational data analysis for DoD tactical systems. CSCWAL employs heterogeneous computers and operating systems (Unix/Linux variants, Windows, and Hypervisors) in a classified environment.
Job duties include but are not limited to: System Administration (e.g., Active Directory, Group Policy, STIGs, deployments), Network Administration (e.g., VLAN, ACL’s, SDN), Data Storage (e.g., NFS, CIFS, Disaster Recovery), developing support tools, resource requirement assessments, and future capability planning. Candidate will work closely with the team to understand technical and operational requirements to support cyber analysis.
IT Support and Architecture Execution - Establish close relationships with facility users, establishing a collaborative approach to facility support. Configure, troubleshoot, and proactively support the management of a physical and virtual Enterprise environment. Support the installation and configuration of various layers of hardware, middleware, and software, from operating systems to applications and services.
Security Compliance - Perform and monitor facility security procedures to ensure full compliance with NIST RMF regulations and other pertinent security policies, procedures and practices to assure protection of all classified information. Prepare facilities and provide expertise for annual internal security inspections by APL security staff and also for annual external security inspections by DSS representatives.
Strategic Planning - Support facility growth and enhancement through forward-looking planning and equipment and software selection in collaboration with department IT management. Develop and maintain an understanding of the user community’s current and future needs. Reconfigure facility for new projects and equipment including computer installation, networking, and applications installation.
Equipment/Software Recommendations/Procurement - Research hardware and software options, make recommendations and coordinate with management to develop and execute equipment and software purchasing plans.
Design of Experiments – Work closely with project staff to assist in the design of testbed features and capabilities to meet project research and delivery goals. Prepare test plans, procedures, and post-event analysis reports. Configure the testbed to facilitate research objectives and participate in experiment execution.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- BS in CS, MIS, CE or relevant professional field or equivalent practical experience
- At least 3 (three) years’ experience in a computer system administration role.
- IT administrative experience for Microsoft Windows (e.g., 2008/2012/2016 Server, Windows 7/8/10), Linux (e.g., RedHat, Solaris), and Hypervisors (e.g., VMware ESXi, KVM, Hyper-V)
- Experience with Cisco IOS and NX-OS software, computer hardware builds and deployments
- Experience as an Information System Security Engineer with demonstrated understanding of NIST RMF requirements for DoD systems and knowledge of information security processes and practices.
Current DoD 8570 IAT Level 1 Certification (A+ CE, CCNA-Security, Network+ CE, SSCP)
Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose problems within a domain to include all corresponding infrastructure (e.g., hardware/software, power and cooling)
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn existing and emerging IT technologies.
- Ability and desire to work well with a wide variety of end-users with differing needs and experiences.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to work in a team and independently as well as multi-task effectively
- Ability to obtain an Interim SECRET security clearance prior to starting.
- MS in CS, MIS, CE or related field
- At least 5 (five) years’ experience in computer system administration role.
- Current DoD 8570 IAT Level 2 or Level 3 Certification (L2: CCNA Security, CySA+, GICSP, GSEC, Security+ CE, SSCP; or L3: CASP CE, CCNP Security, CISA, CISSP (or Associate), GCED, GCIH)
- Enterprise Domain architecture experience to include database administration
- Experience as an Information System Security Manager with demonstrated practical implementation of NIST RMF requirements for DoD systems and mastery of information security processes and practices
- Active TOP SECRET clearance
Special Working Conditions: Work is performed predominately in a closed space. Must be able to perform moderate lifting (up to 50 lbs.) to move computer and network equipment. Some work outside normal working hours and on weekends must be performed for operations and maintenance.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 18901