National Institutes of Health Associate Director of Precision Oncology Research in Montgomery County, Maryland
If you have experience providing scientific expertise in the development and coordination of cancer genomics-based initiatives, and you possess extensive administrative management experience to lead research programs and activities, AND you want to play a significant role in a dynamic organization, then consider becoming an Associate Director of Precision Oncology Research at the Center for Cancer Genomics (CCG), National Institutes of Health (NIH), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
Learn more about this agency
- As an Associate Director of Precision Oncology Research, your typical work assigmnets may include:
- Providing expert advice on precision oncology to the CCG Director and other senior NCI and NIH officials.
- Establishing goals and strategic direction for cancer genomics research programs in coordination and interaction with NIH institutes, HHS and other Federal Agencies.
- Providing expert scientific leadership to programs at the intersection of functional genomics, pediatric cancer genome science, and data technology and translational research which contribute to achieving program goals.
- Designing and developing new initiatives to improve genomic data systems and technologies to facilitate breakthrough findings for improved treatment as expected by the Moonshot and the Blue Ribbon Panel.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
0601 General Health Science
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship requirement met by closing date.
- Position is subject to a background investigation.
- Position requires Education
- Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
In order to qualify for an Associate Director of Precision Oncology Research, GS-601 position you must meet the following Occupational Requirements:
Basic Requirement: Have completed the requirement for a Bachelor's (or graduate/higher level) degree with major study in an academic field related to the medical field, health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position, from an accredited college or university.
In addition, in order to qualify at the GS-15 level, you must:
Have one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-14 level in the Federal Service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: serving as an expert advisor in the planning, development and implementation of cancer genomics programs;facilitating communication and collaborative effort with multiple units/offices in the cancer research community to set research priorities and objectives; managing contract and grant portfolios to support cancer prevention research; developing and applying emerging cancer genomics technologies to precision oncology initiatives; providing leadership, direction, and oversight to other scientific, technical, and administrative staff.
This position has an education requirement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- If selected, you will be required to complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, OGE Form 450 to determine if a conflict or an appearance of a conflict exists between your financial interest and your perspective position with the agency. This information is required annually.
- PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps should also apply online to this announcement in order to receive consideration.
- Additional selections may be made through this vacancy announcement.
- The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
- The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
- This position is designated as a "non-emergency/teleworker" position and the selected candidate will be considered a "non-emergency/teleworker" employee. In the event of a closure, you must be available to telework or request leave.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
If you meet the minimum qualifications for this position, your application and responses to the online questionnaire will be evaluated under Category Rating and Selection procedures for placement in one of the following categories:
- Best Qualified - for those who are superior in the evaluation criteria
- Well Qualified - for those who excel in the evaluation criteria
- Qualified - for those who only meet the minimum qualification requirements The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points, but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Applicants determined to be Best Qualified will be referred for further consideration. Preference eligibles in the Best Qualified category are referred before all other applicants. As part of the process, you may be asked to provide more detailed information about your experience and/or capabilities.
To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must substantively exceed the basic qualifications by scoring at least an 85 on the assessment and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and any other requirements.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package, which includes
- Your resume (see How to Apply section for requirements) and cover letter (if you wish to submit one)
- Responses to the online questionnaire
- Other supporting documents if applicable:
- Veterans' preference (DD-214, VA Disability Letter, etc.): Reference Standard Form 15 (SF-15) for required documentation for 10 point claims. Submission of SF-15 is not required, unless you are claiming derived preference (XP) as described in questions 7, 8, or 9 on the SF-15. In those cases, you must submit a completed SF-15 and the required documentation. For 5 point claims, you must submit your DD-214 (if separated) or any written documentation from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted with your application package.
- Schedule A (Disability Appointment): Documentation of eligibility for employment under Schedule A can be obtained from a licensed medical professional (e.g., a physician or other medical professional certified by a state, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory to practice medicine); a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist (i.e., state or private); or any Federal agency, state agency, or agency of the District of Columbia or a U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits. The letter must be printed on a medical professional's letterhead and signed.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) documentation We encourage you to submit a copy of your transcripts, related license, certification, or registration if applicable.
Do not submit any other supplementary documentation that is not requested of you. We will not use this documentation.
To ensure your information is secure, please redact social security numbers and birth dates. Original copies may be requested if you are hired.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Review our benefits
- How to Apply
How to Apply
Your Resume must clearly articulate how your skills and experiences align to the criteria defined in the qualifications section of this announcement and it must support your responses to the assessment questionnaire. For each position you must describe your duties, accomplishments, related skills, and responsibilities. Your resume must also include the day, month, and year that you began and ended for each position held. Full-time employment will be assumed unless otherwise stated on your resume. Part-time employment will be prorated in crediting experience. Not providing this information may result in the lowering of your assessment score or an ineligible rating. Do not include a photograph or video of yourself on your resume or cover letter. We will not access web pages linked on your resume or cover letter to determine your qualifications. For resume writing guidance, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or view their video tutorial.
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Applyto access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documentsto be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
A complete Assessment Questionnaire. https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10205061 Other required supporting documents (See the Required Documents section for any additional forms and/or supplemental materials required.)
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
For additional information, click on the links below:
- Additional Information on How to Apply
- Information on Reasonable Accommodation For technical difficulties, contact HR Systems Support between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM ET Monday through Friday at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Agency contact information
National Institutes of Health 2115 East Jefferson Street Rockville, MD US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Within 15 business days of the closing date, 06/21/2018 , your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application. In addition, you may also check your status online at USAJOBS.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/501931900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 06/12/2018 to 06/21/2018
Salary: $134,789 to $164,200 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 15
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent